Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Techno fail Tuesday

Today went by in a flash, even though some things were at a standstill. Our district's computer grade book was down after about 10:00 am, this after Blackboard was down most of yesterday. Coincidentally, the learning group I lead was paid a visit by the technology trainers for the district, even though the visit has been set up for months, it was timely, but right next to fruitless. The trainers are nice people, doing the best they can in an organization with rules, checklists, and protocols for every move, but on some of the programs we use, it's clear they're learning along with us. They focus on what the program (Bb) can do for us, but often it's pie in the sky. They try to do what they can to support those of us who are trying to use it, but unless we know the right questions to ask, we're sunk. I asked them about the grading program--not their specialty. I asked about the mystery changes that had been made to my e-mail (help! my contact lists have disappeared)--again, not their specialty. Tonight when I logged on to check e-mail I had 36 pages of messages from the "Mail Delivery System" saying messages were delayed and are being "retried." I promise I didn't send more than a dozen e-mails today. Scary.

Off for more grading. Hope the system's up tomorrow. These numbers are stacking up on me.

No comments: