Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ach! missed a day already

I faced this fact a long time ago, I'm not a creature of habit. That's not to say that I don't get stuck in a rut and end up having a kind of routine. Also, teaching must be one of the most time-limited careers out there. Of course, most occupations are broken into time chunks, but in most, certainly most professions, there's a sense of "we'll work until the job is done." Teaching is not that way. Occasionally, I feel more like a ferry boat driver without the benefit of being out in nature or being able to run behind when I hit a stump than a teacher. That's a metaphor worth playing with later. But I've digressed far from my point. I want to write every day. I want it to be as automatic as brushing my teeth. More. I want it to be something I need to do. This seems like one way to go to make that happen. So, all that to say I hate the fact that a whole day slipped by without as word. A big day, a busy day.

The Transcendentalist Tea was a limited success. Next year, the academic portion of it will come days before the tea. I'll have the kids help me with music, decorations, and refreshments, with some research first on what would be time appropriate. They'll report on their historical figures the day before. Then we'll work harder to achieve a party atmosphere. Costumes will be encouraged, rewarded, but not required. What went down yesterday was oral reports with lovely refreshments. Not bad, somewhat pleasing to these students who do the traditional student routine 90+% of the time. But not a party. Ah, next year. Pardon me while I pause to break into a chesty "Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're always a day away." I love that I get to do it again.

So, that's yesterday's post. Today's comes later.

1 comment:

MJ said...

One of the things I like about teaching is that we always get to start over and try again.