Monday, December 17, 2007

Little known things

I'm working on a book report of sorts, but so far it bores me. Here are a few little known things about me:

1. When I was three I told adults I wanted to grow up to be the Dancing Bear from Captain Kangaroo. The video here came out about 12 years after I coveted the job and I don't remember that hideous soundtrack. I can almost recapture the magic if I leave the sound off. Don't laugh.
2. I can't whistle. It broke my heart when I was twelve, but I finally gave up trying. It gives my kids something to tease me about.
3. I decided that writing was important to me in the 2nd grade when I did an "extra credit" book report that the teacher allowed me to read to the class.
4. For most of my childhood I thought I would study law. After 12 years in the classroom, I love teaching more than I would ever have imagined.
5. I am a pacifist, but married a hawkish Navy man. Over the years (28) I've become a shifting moderate, a category I find includes most folks I know.
6. My daughters are the first girls in my husband's family in three generations. Before they were born, I was told to expect only sons. I was happy with that, not loving the idea of raising girls to discover the realities of being female. Now my daughters are among my best friends.
7. I have started the same novel six times. It's still brewing.

Now that I read them again, I don't know how little known some of this stuff is, but I did manage to get to seven.

3 comments:

MJ said...

It's harder than it seems; I know. I liked the parts about your daughters. It reminds me of seeing you and MM as you would leave school each day.

Thanks for playing!

JSG said...

Wow, Bells, those seven really help to draw a composite of some of the things that are most important to you. When choosing seven things at random you reflected on your girls, your husband, your teaching, and your writing.

Thanks for the Bear video. Boy that took me way back.

Cora Spondence said...

I would love to know the story about how you and your husband met. Are you total opposites or just in this area?