Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What I taught last year

I'm in the middle of preparing for new students and a new year, but two student comments from last year keep surfacing in my mind. I don't know if I can top these two, especially since I won't have any standard English classes this year. When asked what they had learned in my class, one young man said, "I learned the world is much bigger than I ever knew before." This is the result of viewing and discussing MSNBC Week in Pictures, a Friday habit I can't seem to break. The other comment feeds my soul: "I learned reading is a hobby, not a chore." I don't know if I can improve on that, especially with the "Pre-IB" students, but I'm out to try. Tomorrow I'll meet a few of my students because of orientation. It's not too well attended since my students are sophomores, hence much too cool for this optional exercise. Over-achievers and those with hovering parents will be present. Ready or not--wow--look at that, I'm ready!

1 comment:

MJ said...

Those are the highest praise! You bring so much of the world to your students. I'm glad they noticed.