Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Stick me, please!

Today I bared my ass to two strange men and am already grateful. Of course, the men were properly trained and licensed, one by the AMA. Dr. Ash inserted a series of needles into the dura of my spine at L4 and L5 to inject a solution of steroid, anesthetic and saline. The goal is relief from the pain in my back and leg I've been living with in varying degrees for a long, long, time, the last six weeks being the most severe. It's been a strange summer. I've been on pain pills and managing my symptoms with some success, but I've hit a new level of inactivity to do it. And the pills (Vicodin) make me feel so odd, a wave of euphoria and floatiness and then a strange flat blankness. Once I remember thinking "This is what it's like to be really stupid." Then I found myself contemplating my own death and how folks would fare without me. Not my standard subjects at all. I miss my self when I'm on pain pills. I'm optimistic that these injections will truly bring a cure--two more sets, two weeks apart. The next step--many steps, many little steps-- is to get moving again. So little time before the lovely treadmill that is school cranks up again. Ready for the fun, fellow teachers out there? I'm more prepared than this time last year, but as the summer's been truly off time, I have much to do.

2 comments:

JSG said...

The epidural steriod injections saved my life! With 2 herniated discs I was in agony. I went for a series of 3 injections some 15 years ago. Since then I sailed through pregnancy and childbirth, and even took up a running "habit." I wish you speedy and then permanent relief.

MJ said...

I'm glad you'll be feeling better soon!