Sunday, June 7, 2009

Two steps forward, three steps back

After a bout with knee pain, I bought an assortment of orthotics to put in my shoes to improve alignment. The knee pain was gone almost immediately, so I set out a reasonable exercise plan, increasing my steps by using a pedometer, doing some stretches and yoga most days. Earlier this week a new pain began in the opposite ankle. Unfortunately, this wasn't an unfamiliar pain; I'd felt it for many months in the other ankle before giving in and having it "fixed" surgically. It was one of the most difficult, horrible experiences of my life. The doctor told me it would take a year to completely recover. He was right. Needless to say, I don't want to do this again. So, I've been taking it easy, ice, heat, anti-inflammatories. I've even ordered a kit for a custom set of shoe inserts from these folks. All this because of flat feet! I wish I had known years ago about the consequences for not wearing good arch support. Not sure that would have made me do it, but at least I could have said I knew better. But now I've seen some improvement and refuse to let this curtail all the fun this summer. I have better things to do than worry about what hurts and why. How inconvenient to be a flimsy human!

2 comments:

JSG said...

It is annoying when the spirit runs free but the body has other plans. Speedy alignment to you!

BellsOn said...

Small potatoes compared to the trials you're going through. Continued wishes for speedy healing to EJG.